Friday, July 17, 2009

Ahhh, summer...



Every year about this time I am brought almost to tears by how wonderfully flavorful really fresh, ripe fruits and veggies can be. If you live in northern New England (and lots of other frigid places, I imagine) you SUFFER through about 7 months of mealy anemic tomatoes, pithy sytrofoam peaches, and shriveled tasteless blueberries. Among other horrors. And so I find myself gorging on handfulls of raspberries, strawberries, snap peas and currents, trying to fill myself to overflowing, hoping all that goodness will somehow last me through the rest of the year.


Assisting in my pursuit of fresh local foods is the newly established farmer's market in New London. It's not huge but there is plenty of fresh produce, locally raised meats, raw milk and goat cheese, honey, and baked goodies. We're so spoiled that this weekly market sets up about 50 steps from our front door, right on the town green. It's a little bit of heaven on earth.



2 comments:

Crazy Uncle Dan said...

By the way.....What the heck does Raw Milk mean. That just sounds sooooooo unappetizing.

modo said...

I think it is un-pasteurized so it has that fresh from the udder taste.