Saturday, April 24, 2010

Deja vu all over again


Two days ago I was officially moved from "modified couch potato duty" to "strict bedrest." After nearly 4 months of strict bedrest when I was pregnant with Aiden, I can't say it was a huge shock to find myself there again, but things had been going so very smoothly that Andy and I had almost convinced ourselves it was going to turn out differently this time.

We had a routine ultrasound at the hospital, part of our weekly "high-risk" appointments, and just looking at the measurements of my cervix on the screen, we both knew. We are getting really good at identifying the different black and white blobs on the u/s screen... if you've only had one or two ultrasounds it's almost impossible to tell what is a baby's abdomen, legs, or head, never mind parts of my female anatomy. Anyway, when the u/s tech left the room and told us to wait there for a few minutes (they can't tell you anything, though they completely know what they're finding, so you have to read the body language), Andy and I exchanged a knowing look. "If she brings in a wheelchair, we're screwed," said Andy. Ten minutes later, in rolled my chariot, and up I went to be admitted to the maternity floor.

The timing could not have been worse, and the timing could not have been better. I had a big training to run (all sitting down, of course) at work the next two days, complete with 4+ hours of powerpoint presentations. Other staff members (mostly my hero Wendy) had to pick up all the pieces and run it without me and with little preparation. Bad timing. The other way to look at it is that with my cervix is starting to open, the stress and long hours of the training would likey have exacerbated the problem, and could have spelled disaster for our little girl. Good timing.

I have been relased from the hospital now and am re-adjusting to the routine at home. Today is Day 3 of being 100% horizontal, except for trips to the bathroom. Only 10 weeks to go...



In better times (two weekends ago) Aiden had fun at a friend's birthday party which was held at a local gymnastics center.





And he got to visit his HaPa and Grandma in Vermont, make and devour wood-fired pizza, and collect the chickens' eggs. Fun will be limited to the immediate vicinity surrounding New London in the coming weeks, but I know Andy will do everything he can to make sure Aiden's life is as normal as possible. This is how super-dads are made!







"The Aiden": pepperoni, broccoli and black olives

3 comments:

80 miles from Key West said...

Wow....that was a very early am post. At this point...there must be little difference between night and day. Keep your chin up...we are all rooting for you and the little one.

Anonymous said...

I guess if you have to be in a hospital, the room looks cheery enough.
Do those chickens lay brown eggs?
Grandma Chris

Chris and Preston said...

The weeks will go by and voilá you'll have a surprise! We'll come and visit...finally.....entertainment and easy meals! Love, A. Chris