Thursday, July 18, 2013

Weekend, what weekend?


Okay, so there was no weekend for me- I was working at Mount Monadnock for five days and sweating like a sumo wrestler in a sauna climbing up the side of a mountain with heavy rock bars and pick mattocks to dig in the dirt and move big rocks.  Andy and the kids, on the other hand, did have some semblance of a weekend, though I'm sure for Andy it was not as relaxing as it would have been with a second parent around.  They all drove down to Gloucester early Saturday morning to try oystering at low tide.  I have never gathered oysters, so I have no clue, but apparently they are just lying there on the sand waiting to be picked up, shucked, and slurped.  Fantastico!  They gathered at least 2 dozen oysters and just as many mussels with Micah and Becky's guidance, which is apparently a very good haul.  I can tell you they were much appreciated by Haley, Aiden and me.  We all slurped quite a few over the next couple days.  There is nothing like a salty seawater oyster with a squeeze of lemon sliding down your throat!


The Gloucester Deans also took the NH Deegans fishing, and the haul included a few flounder, skates and one pollock reeled in by Aiden.  I'm not sure there were any photos, but we did get a bag of fish filets to cook up at home :)



No comments: